Pizza. The one food that makes my heart sing. As a mother, there is a deep satisfaction when you please your kid with a home-cooked meal, especially when it is their favorite. Our son loves any meal with a tomato base. Maybe because I consumed far too many tomatoes while pregnant? Oops! Haha! My day is made.
Today, for many, family mealtime has become completely lost in our over-scheduled lives. It’s very difficult to find time to eat together, because of school, work schedules, and extracurricular activities. Family meals are important and they should be considered part of our daily routine. I live for mealtime with my family. It’s truly special to me.
Currently, only 50% of American households eat dinner together at least 5 nights per week. Researchers have found that families who share meals together on a regular basis reap many benefits including family meals are more nutritious, help prevent obesity, teach healthy food choices, help prevent eating disorders, help improve mental health, create bonded families, kids have higher grades, parents have increased savings, and there is a much lower chance of kids engaging in high-risk behaviors.
There are a few tips that I would like to offer to get you off on the right track: make family meals a priority in your household, start with small steps by increasing the number of family meals by one extra meal a week, plan a menu for the week and make a grocery list, let the kids be involved by helping to prepare food or set the table, host a theme night, work as a family to clean up afterward, and turn off electronics.
- 1 Pizza Crust Cali'flour Foods Original Italian Pizza Crust
- 1/2 tbsp Organic Olive Oil Garcia De La Cruz Extra Virgin Olive Oil Organic
- 3/4 cup Organic Pizza Sauce Organico Bello Organic Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup Organic Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded Rumiano Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Organic Oyster Mushrooms, Sliced Melissa's Produce
- 1 tbsp Organic Red Italian Sweet Onion, Diced Melissa's Produce
- 1/4 cup Organic Baby Heirloom Tomatoes Melissa's Produce
- 1/4 cup Italian Sun-Dried Tomatoes Melissa's Produce
- Basil Melissa's Produce
- 1 tsp Organic Garlic Powder Spicely Organics
- 1 tsp Organic Dried Oregano Spicely Organics
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt San Francisco Salt Company
- Preheat pizza stone (or pizza pan or baking sheet): Place a pizza stone on a rack in the lower third of your oven. Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Brush crust top with olive oil: Brush the top of the crust with olive oil (to prevent it from getting soggy from the toppings). Let rest another 10-15 minutes. Then sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Spread with tomato sauce and sprinkle with toppings: Spoon on the tomato sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and place your desired toppings on the pizza. Then sprinkle dried oregano and Himalayan pink salt.
- Drizzle with pesto: Drizzle some pesto on the pizza.
- Bake pizza: Bake pizza until the crust is browned and the cheese is golden, about 10-15 minutes. If you want, toward the end of the cooking time you can sprinkle on a little more cheese. Garnish with basil and drizzle olive oil.