LETTUCE be happy. 🙂 Haha! Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Low carb meals are always entertaining to experiment with. But, I still love my carbs! The idea that “carbs are bad” has left many people confused about carbohydrates and their importance for our health, including maintaining a healthy weight. Carbohydrates a broad category and not all carbs are the same. It’s the type, quality and quantity of carbohydrate in our diet that’s important. There are 3 different types of carbohydrates found in food: sugar, starch and fibre. Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy. In their absence, your body will use protein and fat for energy. Healthy sources of carbohydrates, such as higher fibre starchy foods, vegetables, fruit and legumes, are also an important source of nutrients, such as calcium, iron and B vitamins. Do you have an awesome low carb recipe to share?
- 1 lb Organic Ground Chicken Greensbury Market
- 1 tbsp Organic Olive Oil Garcia Del La Cruz
- 1 Small Organic Sweet Onion Melissa's Produce
- 8 oz Organic Shiitake Mushrooms, Chopped Melissa's Produce
- 3 tsp Organic Ginger Melissa's Produce
- 3 Cloves Organic Garlic Melissa's Produce
- 16 oz Organic Water Chesnuts
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- Organic Sweet Pepper Melissa's Produce
- 3 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Monk Fruit Classic Health Garden
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Organic Chili Pepper Crushed Spicely Organics
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat, add onion and mushrooms. Season with sea salt and saute until 3 to 5 minute until the onions are soft. Add in the ginger and garlic, stir until fragrant. Add the ground chicken.
- Break up the ground chicken with a wooden spoon and turn heat to medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink 5 to 8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking whisk together the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, monk fruit and fish sauce. Set aside.
- Make the dipping sauce as well, by whisking together all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Add the cooking sauce to the pan with the cooked chicken. Cook just long enough to slightly reduce.
- Right at the end, add the water chestnuts.
- Remove from the heat and serve in lettuce cups. Top with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with dipping suace.