Kale. It is a loose-leafed edible plant derived from the cabbage of the mustard family. It is a bitter plant, but I try to squeeze it in wherever I can. It has CRAZY health benefits including: eye health, promoting wellbeing of the skin, helps with blood clotting, powerful anti-oxidant support, helps with reducing cholesterol, helps to manage diabetes, bone health, keeping the heart healthy, detoxifying the body, and help treat anemia. In Ireland, kale is mixed with mashed potatoes to make the traditional dish colcannon. It is popular on Halloween, when it may be served with sausages. Various kale types are eaten throughout south-eastern Africa, where they are typically boiled with coconut milk and ground peanuts, and served with rice, or boiled cornmeal. This salad is dynamite! Haha! The sweet apples and creamy goat cheese help mask the bitterness of the kale. Also, it is definitely a treat for the eyes! Do you have a special recipe involving kale? I would love to hear it!
- 1 lb Kale, Stems Discarded, Chopped Melissa's Produce
- 1 Envy Apple, Large, Cored, Thinly Sliced Melissa's Produce
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, Large, Cored, Thinly Sliced Melissa's Produce
- 1/2 cup Almonds, Sliced Mariani Nut
- 4 oz Goat Cheese
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Blend together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Dress salad. Enjoy!