First feeling of coolness, time to break out the bisque recipes! Haha! Ah, scallops… My all-time favorite seafood item. Did you know there are more than 400 species of scallops found around the world? Scallops are one of the cleanest shellfish available. The abductor’s muscle is not used to filter water, so scallops are not susceptible to toxins or contaminants the way that clams and mussels are. To be officially considered a scallop by the FDA, its moisture content must be less than 80%. STP (sodium tripolyphosphate) is often used by lower quality companies in order to plump up scallops, sometimes up to 30% more. I am #TeamGreensbury when it comes to scallops! No other compare! This recipe is “HOME” in a soup pot. It’s very special! It’s creamy and the flavors are powerful! The beautiful scallops are the “cherry on top” for this soup. Do you have a special recipe including scallops? Please share it now!
- 1/2 lb Wild Caught Sea Scallops Greensbury Market
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil Garcia Del La Cruz
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, Chopped Melissa's Produce
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced Melissa's Produce
- 3 Garlic Cloves Melissa's Produce
- 3 Red Potatoes Melissa's Produce
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 3 cups Fish Stock
- 3 Fresh Thyme Sprigs Melissa's Produce
- 1 cup Almond Milk JOI
- Himalayn Salt
- Peppercorn Black Spicely Organics
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté over medium heat the onion, garlic, potatoes, and celery. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add dry white wine and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes. Slowly add seafood stock and thyme. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove celery stalks and thyme and purre mixture until smooth . Return the bisque to low heat, add half and half, stirring. Adjust salt and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil until very hot but not smoking. Sear scallops about 2 minute on each side. Remove and set aside.