Ah, a winter fruit salad. Where can you go wrong? Even better, I added apples to this one. They are the perfect compliment to the Valencia Oranges. Do you prefer the Valencia Orange or the Navel Orange? What is the difference between Valencia Oranges and Navel Oranges? Florida Valencia oranges are sweet summer oranges named after Valencia, Spain popular for its sweet citrus produce. They are available from March up until June. Although they contain a few seeds, they are the perfect juicing orange because they are juicier than other oranges. Furthermore, the juice is invigorating, brightly colored, has a well-balanced sweet-tart flavor. Navels on the other hand are seedless winter oranges that are in season from December through March with a peak in January and February.They taste sweeter than Valencias and are great to munch on fresh out of hand or tossed in a salad. Unlike Valencia oranges, Navels are better eaten fresh rather than juiced because the Limonin is found in the flesh of Navels so the juice turns bitter within 30 minutes. This fruit salad is super sweet! The sweetness of the oranges and apples mixed with the tartness of the kiwis is the perfect combination. And a dash a fresh mint sets it all off! Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
- Kiwi Melissa's Produce
- Velencia Oranges Melissa's Produce
- Envy Apples Melissa's Produce
- Pomogranate Arils Melissa's Produce
- Place the apple, kiwi, valencia oranges and pomegranate arils in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, honey and poppy seeds.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss gently to coat.
- Garnish with mint. Enjoy!