For this recipe, I used my Turmeric, Garlic Shoots, and Young Cucumber from The Chef’s Garden. Long used in Indian and Caribbean cooking, turmeric is starting to show up in everything from bottled smoothies to beauty products. Turmeric is getting lots of attention because the active ingredient in it, curcumin, has potent anti-inflammatory properties and has been associated with having positive effects on diseases like Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Some studies have shown that combining turmeric with both black pepper and a fat source, such as olive or coconut oil can improve the absorption of curcumin by the body. The culinary uses for turmeric are endless! The flavor is fairly intense, so start with a small amount and increase it once you get used to it. Have fun experimenting with this golden root! Just make sure not to spill it on your good linens — it definitely stains. Not classic hummus, I know, because we’re leaving out the chickpeas and using cauliflower instead. The cauliflower gives this dip that traditional creamy hummus texture and the turmeric adds nutrients, flavor, and a mesmerizing golden hue. It makes for such a fabulous snack dish to have at home or to serve at parties! And works so well as a make-ahead recipe because the hummus develops even more flavor the next day! I garnished with Young Cucumber, Micro Watercress, and Micro Broccoli from The Chef’s Garden.
- 4 cups Cauliflower
- 1 tbsp Garlic Shoots Farmer Jone's Farm at The Chef's Garden
- 1/2 Lemon
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil Garcia De La Cruz
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Farmer Jone's Farm at The Chef's Garden
- Himalyan Pink Salt
- Peppercorn Black Spicely Organics
- Young Cucumber Farmer Jone's Farm at The Chef's Garden
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Lay the cauliflower florets out on the lined pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, or until cauliflower is golden.
- When cauliflower is cooled, place all of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with olive oil.